Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Substitute Paint for Paper in a Layout Sketch - Week #36

Hi everyone! It's Nancy, back with another layout to show you how to use one of my favorite scrapbooking resources, the Scrap Free Scrapbooking eBook by Jennifer Priest.

Layout patterns in the book are designed to make your scrapbooking quick and easy, and to create the maximum amount of layouts with the least amount of paper. But what if you could use the layouts without using paper at all - or barely?


If you look at the patterned paper in the layout patterns as "blocks of color" instead of as paper, this opens up whole new ways to use the patterns. For this project, I decided to substitute acrylic paint for most of the patterned paper in one of the layouts from Cutting Pattern 7. 

how to substitute acrylic paint for paper


My layout is about my recent visit to the new Disney Springs (formerly called Downtown Disney). With predominantly Spanish style architecture and an exuberant atmosphere thanks to its theme park influence, it's perfect for a latin fiesta style color scheme. I chose mine based on inspiration from some photos I found online of sugar skulls and cover art promoting an album of latin music. 


I used the orange - reflecting the Spanish tile roofs of the complex - for the background. The blue color reflects the water in the stream winding its way through the complex, and the green highlights the many palm trees shading the sidewalks. The bold pink calls attention to the journaling written on it, as well as the red umbrellas at the Sprinkles bakery. 

I painted the colors in messy swatches to replace the blocks of paper that make up the layout's design. In areas where the paper blocks are designed to overlap in the pattern, I had to decide how to handle it. The pink and green were supposed to overlap in this design. I chose to take the pink all the way across and stop the green when it got to the edge of the pink. 

Cardstock like this isn't designed to handle heavy wet media, so it warped a bit, but that won't matter when the layout is in an album. 

With all of that color put down with the acrylic paint, I only had to use my Westcott Titanium Trimmer to cut one piece of 8" x 8" paper for this entire layout! The white block serves as a mat for the photos and the title, separating it from the bold background. 


Supplies Used:
  • Cardstock (Orange, White)
  • Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint (Lake, Festival Pink & Apple Green)
  • Colorbox Archival Pigment Ink (Royal Blue)
  • Colorbox Archival Dye Ink (Wicked Black)
  • Sharpie Fine Point Pen
  • 28 Lilac Lane Limited Edition "Fall Jewels" Mix
  • Webster's Pages Painted Passport Word Stickers
  • Pink & Main stamps (Directional Borders)
  • Stampendous stamps (Cling Daisy Mix)
  • Technique Tuesday stamps (Going Places)
  • Black Letter Stickers
  • PPA Matte Adhesive
As long as the paint isn't applied too heavily, you can use Archival inks to stamp across the top of it, or adhere items on top like stickers or beads. 


I used a fine point Sharpie to journal right on top of the paint. I made the edge of the paint somewhat wavy when I applied it. Then I followed the edge of the paint to write my journaling, creating a nice wandering journal line!

This was a really fun, fast, and no-stress way to use the Scrap Free Scrapbooking eBook, and I love the results! What can you think of besides paint to replace your patterned paper blocks with?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some scrappy love!