Tuesday, March 15, 2016

How to Create Budget Friendly Layers with One Sheet of Patterned Paper - week #11



As a scrapbooker, I strive to use every inch of each sheet of patterned paper possible.If you are budget conscious and/or trying to be environmentally friendly, I am sure you do the same. Patterned paper prints with large designs are often the most difficult to use. In some cases, I just can't figure out which part of the design I want to work with. I hate covering designs I like. I even feel that some papers lose their impact on the layout design if I cover a portion of the paper's design with photos or embellishments.Then there is the opposite instance in which I feel the patterned paper print may overpower my focal point.If you have the same issues, I have a scrapbooking quick tip which will help you create budget friendly layers with a single sheet of patterned paper. All you need is a  craft knife.



 Essentially, all you have to do is to cut a portion of the large design so that you can slide your photos, embellishments or other papers underneath a section of the patterned paper.I adore my Westcott Craft knife because of the soft grip and light weight.The key to doing this technique well is to leave portion of the paper attached. Don't cut the design completely out. Cut small sections first, enlarging the slit just a bit as you go so that the papers or photos can slide under the slit with ease. You don't want to force anything in as the paper might buckle and become lumpy or bent.

Sometimes a photo just can't do a technique justice. Take a look at this video in which I explain the technique in further detail.




How do you feel about larger print patterned papers? Do you use them or are they collecting dust in your stash?

Supplies Used
Craft Knife by Westcott
Xyron Adhesive
Patterned Paper,Letters and Stickers by Simple Stories
Wood Veneer by Pinkfresh Studio

 Christy Strickler for Layout a Week




2 comments:

Leave us some scrappy love!