Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Up in the Air - Week #5

For February at Layout-A-Week, the team decided to talk about something we love. For my layout I decided to share a passion of mine that not too many people know about: aerial photography.

I love to take photos out the window when I fly. I will take pictures of the landscape, clouds, sunsets...anything that catches my eye. I've taken pictures of landmarks (like the Manhattan skyline and the Hoover Dam) and even my own home when the plane's route took me over it!

I decided to pull a few photos from my 2015 travels for this layout. I printed one at 5" x 7" as a focal point, and the rest are printed at 3" x 4". This is easy to do with several of the online photo printing companies. Several of them allow this photo size to be created direct from your phone.


This arrangement left two major areas to use for my title and journaling and embellishment, so next I started layering in collage elements to be used for these areas. Some of the elements that I used were pre-printed, and some I created myself with stamping. 



The blue and red shades in this Aurora Petal Point ink pad by Colorbox were a great match for my project's red and blue color scheme. The pigment ink in those pads is the best type of ink to work with my clear stamps to give a good clear impression, especially on a stamp like this with really fine detail.

Once the image was stamped, it was easy to cut it out with Westcott's Titanium Non Stick scissors. 
I chose to leave a border around the edge because it gave me a bit of room for error with my hand tremor from my lupus. 

At the top of the page, I created a simple layered title. The background element is one of the small patterned paper blocks from my Tim Holtz idea-ology paper pad. I used a notebook punch to embellish it. Then letter stickers and a stamped block were added on top of it. The final element is an "air mail" arrow cut from another piece of patterned paper in the same pad, to enhance the aviation theme. 
I followed the same process at the bottom, using one of the small patterned paper blocks with a notebook punch, and layering it with several other elements. The "air mail" element is another piece cut from a patterned paper, and "the view from here" is stamped on another patterned block from the same sheet. 

If you look closely at the tag element, you'll see it has numbers 1-4 on it, with locations. These correspond to Heidi Swapp Memory Planner numbers that I placed on the photos, to help locate as best as possible where the photos were taken. Planner supplies are good for more than planners if you think outside the box - or planner! 

Altogether, the result is a simple layout that gives the impression of being busier and more complex than it really was to construct! 

Supplies:
  • Tim Holtz idea-ology "Correspondence" patterned paper pad 
  • Kelly Purkey "Take Flight" stamps
  • Kelly Purkey "Ready, Jet Set" stamps
  • Hero Arts Clearly Kelly "Kelly's Outline Alphabet" stamps
  • Colorbox Petal Point Pigment ink pad in Aurora
  • Colorbox Archival Chalk ink pad in Charcoal
  • Colorbox Donna Salazar Mix'd Media ink pad in Denim
  • Colorbox Pigment ink pad in Chianti
  • Bazzill Smooth Cardstock in Walnut Cream
  • Heidi Swapp Memory Planner Clear Date Stickers
  • American Crafts "Everywhere" Thickers 
  • Tim Holtz idea-ology "Small Talk" stickers
  • Tim Holtz idea-ology Flashcards
  • EK Success Notebook border punch
  • Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen in Black-S
What do you love that you haven't scrapbooked? 
-








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some scrappy love!